Real property taxpayer remedies shared


ALAMOSA — For tax years 2017 and 2018, the Alamosa County assessor is required by law to appraise all real property at a June 30, 2016 level of value. Notices of Valuation reflecting the 2018 values will be sent to owners of real property by May 1.  The information used by the assessor to value properties is available for review.

From May 2 through June 1, owners of real property may protest the value or the classification established by the assessor.  This protest period provides an opportunity for the taxpayers to inform the assessor of errors in classification, property description, or other discrepancies that may result in a reduction in value or a change in classification.

Protests to the assessor must be postmarked or presented in person on or before June 1. The assessor must make a decision concerning a protest and mail a written Notice of Determination on or before the last working day in June.  If the property owner is satisfied with the assessor’s determination, the tax bill next January will be based on the value and classification reflected on the Notice of Determination. 

Those who disagree with the assessor’s decision may file an appeal with the county board of equalization. An appeal to the county board of equalization must be postmarked or hand-delivered no later than July 16. The county board will notify the property owner by mail of the hearing date, time, and place to present evidence to substantiate a case. Evidence includes documentation such as the sales price of property similar to the property in question that sold between January 1, 2015 and June 30, 2016. 

The county board will conclude hearings and render decisions by the close of Business on August 6. The county board must mail a decision within five business days of the date of its decision. For those who are satisfied with the county board’s decision, the tax bill they receive next January will be based on the valuation and classification reflected in the county board’s decision.

Those who disagree with the action of the county board may file an appeal with the State Board of Assessment Appeals or the district court or may request a binding arbitration hearing. The appeal must be made within 30 days of the county board’s decision.

For additional information regarding the protest and appeal process, contact the county assessor at 719-589-6365.