SAN LUIS VALLEY — 21,274 San Luis Valley residents have received the recommended number of vaccine doses. This is 45% of our total population, or 54% of those ages 12 and older. Vaccination is an important tool in preventing more cases of COVID.
We are experiencing a surge in COVID-19 in the San Luis Valley. It is very important to stay at home and pursue COVID-19 testing if you have possible symptoms of COVID-19, even mild symptoms that may resemble a cold or allergies. You may only have a mild case, but if you unknowingly pass the virus to others they may not be so lucky. Do not go to work or to social activities if you are sick. Do not send children to school if they have symptoms.
Respiratory infections of various kinds have started early this year. Colorado saw an early increase in Respiratory Syncytial virus (RSV) beginning in July. RSV is a disease that can be particularly dangerous for young children, and usually is highest in winter months. Flu shots will become available in the next few weeks. Vaccination against flu and COVID-19 may be given by public health or your healthcare provider during a single visit; as both vaccines can be administered then. This will prevent multiple clinic visits.
There were 126 known active cases of COVID-19 in the San Luis Valley as of Wednesday.
* Alamosa County - 44
* Conejos County - 18
* Costilla County - 20
* Mineral County - 3
* Rio Grande County - 30
* Saguache County - 11
Free COVID-19 testing is available to the public through mobile clinics on the dates and locations listed below. Register when you arrive, or register online in advance at www.affinityecarecolorado.com
* Mondays, 11am-2pm at Monte Vista Safeway Store, 1200 2nd Ave, Monte Vista
* Tuesdays, 10am-2pm at Rio Grande County Social Services, 1015 6th St in Del Norte
* Wednesdays, 3pm-7pm at the Community Center in Saguache
* Thursdays, 10am-2pm at La Jara Town Hall, 210 Broadway St in La Jara
* Thursdays, 11am-2pm at Rainbow Grocery, 30279 US-160, South Fork
To be screened for testing for COVID-19 through local testing providers call:
* Rio Grande Hospital 719-657-4990
* SLVHealth Respiratory Clinic 719-589-3000 ext. 9
* Valley-Wide Health Systems 719-589-3658 ext. 4 (MF), 719-589-2562 (Sa / Su)
To find local vaccine providers, please see www.slvphp.com/vaccination or call 719-480-8719. Most local providers offer confidential appointments, and some may accommodate walk-ins.