CAPULIN — Santos Nevares, suspected of shooting three people to death Jan. 15, has been slated for a preliminary hearing February 13 and 14.
Nevares, 25, of La Jara, who also goes by the name, Santos Rameriz, along with other aliases, fled the scene and was taken into custody by Conejos deputies, Colorado State Patrol (CSP) Troopers, Manassa police, Antonito police and La Jara officers at a location several miles west of the scene on County Road AA.
Travel in the area was complicated by deep snow and the vehicle reportedly got stuck.
Nevares (Rameriz) was booked on the following charges: Three counts of first degree murder with intent after deliberation; three counts of first degree murder with extreme indifference; one count of criminal attempt to commit first degree murder, with intent and after deliberation; one count of first degree assault with intent to cause bodily injury, causing serious bodily injury by means of a deadly weapon; one count of aggravated motor vehicle theft, using a vehicle in the commission of a crime other than a traffic offense and one count of felony menacing.
A possible motive has not been reported.
Guadalupe “Lupe” Cervantes had been celebrating his 57th birthday, beginning with a football game at the town bar and moving the party to his home after the game ended.
When deputies arrived, Cervantes and Jose M. “Joey” Archuleta, 54, were found dead at the scene.
A female identified as Marissa Luz Cervantes, 30, suffered serious injuries and was transported to a local hospital, then flown out to a Denver hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 10:55 p.m.
Don L. “Kinki” Martinez, 34, also suffered a gunshot wound, was transported to a local hospital and then flown out. He is slowly recovering.
Conejos County Sheriff Howard Galvez Jr., asked the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to assist in the investigation. All officers and agents are working to determine the circumstances surrounding this tragedy, the sheriff said.
In June, a two-day preliminary hearing scheduled June 22 and 23 for Nevares was postponed. District Attorney Crista Newmyer-Olsen said the defense filed a motion June 14 asking for a continuance due to the fact that the information gathering process was incomplete.