I just found out that April is National Pecan Month! Pecans contain more antioxidants than any other nut variety according to ORAC values. Pecans can help reduce the risk of heart disease and lower cholesterol levels and contain more than 19 vitamins and minerals. They are also a natural, high-quality source of protein and are naturally sodium free. Here is a great website with all kinds of pecan recipes: https://ilovepecans.org/recipes/
Thursday, April 12th @ 11 a.m., Sandra Hostetter, the Alamosa County Assessor, will be here to present a workshop on Property Tax Exemption for Seniors. This is a great opportunity for you to see if you qualify for a program that has helped hundreds of folks save money.
Join us for a General Membership Meeting on Tuesday April 17th at 12:30 p.m. Sarah Stoeber from the Enterprise Zone will be here to explain how the program works and the tax benefits of making your contributions through them.
Wednesday, April 18th, the Senior Center Bus leaves @ 9 a.m. for Homelake to tour the Veterans History Center Museum followed by a tour of the Transportation of the West Museum. We will plan to hit Dairy Queen for lunch on our way home! Price for lunch and the trip is $10. Please call to make your reservation.
The Walk to Connect program will be meeting here Thursday, April 19th at 10 a.m. Join us as we enjoy spending time with one another walking around Cole Park and along the Rio Grande River.
The Senior Center bus will travel to Buffalo Thunder Casino on Wed., April 25th. Please call to reserve your place.
Friday, April 27th the Alamosa Senior Citizens will host a Ladies Spring Tea and Fashion Show @ 2 p.m. The cost is $5 and will enter you in a drawing for several outstanding prizes! Our special feature consists of a Vintage Hat and Jewelry Fashion Show modeled by some lovely Jr. High Ladies from Centauri Middle School including Amaya Garcia-White Buffalo. Amaya is the current reigning Miss Colorado Jr. High School America 2018 and has volunteered here at the Center on several occasions. If you have a splendid hat (or 2) or any jewelry that you would like to see modeled, please let us know.
The following weekly activities are for all seniors whether you are a member or not.
* Billiards Play.
* Puzzle construction.
* Dime Bingo, M-Th from 1 p.m.-3 p.m. Free to members. $2 fee for non-members.
* Tai Chi with Lyn Johnson takes place each Monday through May 21st @ 10 a.m.
* Free 5 point ear acupuncture conducted by Rick Wertz each Tuesday @ 9:30 a.m. for veterans and seniors 50 & over.
* Knitting/Crocheting group meets each Wednesday @ 11 a.m. and the Mah Jongg group @ 1pm.
* Linda Falkenthal is here each Friday from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. helping with your computer, smart phone or tablet needs. Call to sign up for a session.
* There will be no chair yoga during the month of April.
* Dominoes - Fridays @ 12:30 p.m.
* Daily transportation is available for seniors from 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Please call ahead at least 24 hours in advance to schedule a ride for errands, Dr. visits, grocery shopping, dining at the center, etc.
* If you are not yet a member, please consider joining us! Regular annual membership is $30 per person or for an Ambassador membership $100 per person. We are located at 92 Colorado in Alamosa adjacent to Cole Park. Hours of operation are: M-Th 8 a.m.-3 p.m. & Fridays 8 a.m.-2 p.m., 719-589-3277.