2205 State Ave., Alamosa, CO 81101 • Ph: 719-589-2553 • Fax: 719-589-6573
E-EDITION LAST UPDATED:
Current E-Edition

News Obits Opinion Community Calendar Police Religion Sports Classifieds Home 


Valley graduates staying close to home

Posted: Tuesday, Nov 27th, 2012


The Alamosa High School Class of 2011 has the highest higher education enrollment in the Valley at 65.6 percent.


Courier staff writer

VALLEY Over fifty percent of recent Valley high school graduates are enrolled in higher education, and half of those are aspiring for greater knowledge right here at home.

Out of the 499 Valley high school 2011 graduating seniors, 262 enrolled in higher education, according to a 2011 Colorado Department of Higher Education report. Based on supplemental Ednews data, 141 (54 percent) of those enrolled at Adams State University (ASU) for the 2011 fall semester.

Trinidad State Junior College (TSJC), however, only saw 42 local students (16 percent).

Although ASU attracted 54 percent of the local graduating market, its statewide draw was significantly lower at 2.4 percent, according to department data. Out of 14,645 2011 Colorado graduates joining a four year institution, ASU enrolled 350.

TSJC registered 2.8 percent, 187 out of the 6,687 state graduates joining a two-year program.

According to the data, 45 percent of the 2011 statewide class enrolled in a Colorado public college or university, or in one of three private schools. The remaining 55 percent might attend an out-of-state school, another in-state private institution or might not be pursuing a degree. Specific data regarding out-of-state enrollment was not available.

Additionally, 67 percent of 2011 Colorado graduates enrolled in in-state, four-year schools. Most were female, 53 percent, and most were white, 64 percent.

In the Valley, Alamosa High School had the most 2011 graduates enroll in higher education, according to the data. Out of 131 graduates, 86 enrolled (65.5 percent) in the 2011 fall semester and 50 signed the doted line to be a Grizzly while 12 others signed up for courses at TSJC. Mean Moose also found ground at Aims Community College, 1; Colorado Mesa University, 1; Colorado School of Mines, 1; Colorado State University, 6; Community College of Denver, 1; Denver University, 1; Fort Lewis College, 3; Front Range Community College, 1; Northeastern Junior College, 1; University of Colorado Boulder, 1; University of Colorado Colorado Springs, 4; University of Colorado Denver, 1 and University of Northern Colorado, 2.

Sangre de Cristo and Sargent High Schools both had the second most 2011 graduates enrolled in higher education, 62.5 percent, according to the data. Sangre de Cristo High School had 10 of 16 graduates enroll with five going to ASU, two to the Metropolitan State College of Denver and three to TSJC. Sargent High School had 20 of its 32 2011 graduates enroll with eight going to ASU, five to Colorado State University, four to TSJC and one each to Colorado State University-Pueblo, Regis University and Western State College.

Center, Sanford and Creede High Schools had the lowest 2011 high education enrollment numbers, 27 percent, 30 percent and 40 percent, respectively. According to the data, Center High School had 10 of 36 graduates enroll, Sanford High School six of 20 and Creede High School two of five.

The remaining eight Valley high schools trended closer to the 50 percent mark: Centennial High School, 33 2011 graduates, 10 enrolled in higher education, 57.6 percent; Del Norte High School, 36, 15, 41.7 percent; Moffat High School, 12, 6, 50 percent; Monte Vista High School, 60, 29, 48.3 percent; Mountain Valley High School, 10, 5, 50 percent; Centauri High School, 71, 35, 49.3 percent; Sierra Grande, 14, 8, 57.1 percent and Antonito High School, 23, 11, 47.8 percent.

In addition to the 14 Valley school districts, the data represented the now defunct Alamosa Open High, The Academic Recovery Center of the San Luis Valley in Center, Crestone Charter School, The Byron Syring Delta Center in Monte Vista, The Monte Vista On-line Academy and the La Jara Second Chance School. In total, out of 93 2011 alternative graduates, 13 enrolled (14 percent) in higher education, four to ASU and six to TSJC.












Select Page:
Within:
Keyword:

Google

Entertainment







 

Copyright 2014 News Media Corporation

News    Classifieds    Shoppe    Search    ContactUs    TalkBack    Subscribe    Information    E-Edition    Business Portal