Iím so thankful for all the heroes in my life. After a sweet young male cat bit my hand, I went to the SLVRMC emergency room and was treated by Dr. Cliff Robins with an antibiotic. After I was released, I remembered I could not tolerate the prescription and realized it caused breathing problems.
Several hours later, I was going into what a nurse called septic shock. I could not address my needs and I forgot about the rescue necklace. My long-term care nurse, Rho Painter, from Alamosa Public Health, saved my life in so many ways. She came in and checked on me and saw the redness and swelling around the cat bite had begun spreading up my arm. She quickly pushed the help button, and Mountain Home Medical answered the alert; and quickly called for intervention.
Then the help really showed up. After texting my personal care provider, Jaime Hernandez who is a Godsend anyway, showed up not two minutes later; then shortly after her, Mark with the Mosca Volunteer Fire Department showed up and the full support of all these wonderful heroes. All the volunteers were there as I saw numerous vehicles.
After Rho and Jaime helped me ready for the transport, I was so thankful for help arriving. They discussed whether or not I could amble outside; and I was able to with help from the EMTs from the Alamosa Ambulance. I was directed into the ambulance carefully like once before in an emergency. I cannot remember anyoneís name but I remember their faces and their kindness. In the ambulance, as before, I settled in, vitals taken, strapped in for safety. I was scared and my panic was setting in but the EMTís were so caring and professional taking down my symptoms and the chronological order of the day.
All the helpers supported me and encouraged me; Rho made sure the list of medications was faxed; Jaime was so supportive with running errands to bring me needed medicine and checking mail.
For the complete article see the 08-31-2013 issue.
Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 08-31-2013 paper.